COUNT AND NON-COUNT NOUNS (Student´s book p.12)
- Count nouns are the ones you can count. Count nouns have a singular and a plural form.
She has five oranges.
- Non-count nouns are the ones you can´t count. Non-count nouns have only one (singular) form.
The flour is on the counter.
Workbook p.p. 12-13
USE OF ANY (page 13 student´s book)
The word ANY is used in negative statements and questions only, with non-count nouns and plural count nouns.
Is there any meat in the refrigerator?
No, there isn´t any meat in the refrigerator
Are there any potatoes in the cabinet?
No, there aren´t any potatoes in the cabinet.
- Let´s make some pizza for dinner!
- Sorry, we can´t. There isn´t any cheese.
Do the next exercise
TRY THIS WORD SEARCH OF NON-COUNT NOUNS
MUCH/ A LITTLE MANY/A FEWCount and non-count nouns take different determiners.
- The determiners much and a little are used with non-count nouns.
- Just a little (sugar)
- How much milk do you want (with your coffee)?
- Not too much, just a little.
- The determiners many and a few are used with count nouns.
- Just a few (meatballs).
- How many cookies do you want?
- Not too many, just a few.
Workbook: p.p. 16-17
HOW MANY? / HOW MUCH? GAME
Of the nouns written below, ask the proper question:
orange juice rice
- Name three breakfast foods.
- Name three luch foods.
- Name three dinner foods.
- Name three dessert foods.
- What food can you make with flour, eggs, sugar, butter and milk?
- What food can you make with flour, tomatoes and cheese?
- What food can you make with meat, bread, ketchup and mustard?
HOW DO I KNOW IF IT´S COUNTABLE OR UNCOUNTABLE?
The non-coun nouns are also called uncountable or mass nouns.
What nouns are uncountable?
- Materials: wood, cotton, linen, silk, steel etc. - Luggage
- Advice - Travel
- Hair - Weather
- Knowledge - Information
- Spaguetti - Machinery
- English (language) - Furniture
- Health - Intelligence
- Education - Clothing
- Soap - Air
- Literature - Water
English is easy. That was very much information.
You have too much luggage. That furniture is expensive!
Your advice was very useful. This machinery is very modern.
More information about count and non-count nouns:
WANT TO DO SOME EXERCISES WITH COUNT AND NON-COUNT NOUNS?
NOW THE GAME!!
YOU HAVE TO KILL ALL THE COUNT NOUNS! BULLETS LIMITED, TIME LIMITED...READY? KIL 'EM ALL!